Friday, September 12, 2008

Burn After Viewing

Well, maybe my expectations were a bit high, but I must say that I was a bit disappointed with the latest Coen Bros. venture. It was another "get money quick, the wrong way" movie, like a lighter, more idiotic version of Fargo... but not nearly as good. Well, it's hard to top Fargo, a movie that SHOULD HAVE won the Oscar that year.

The movie is basically a case study in what happens when idiots and self absorbed numb skulls interact. The characters and acting (or intentional overacting) were fine. And it definitely had its moments - there were quite a few moments of hard laughter. Unfortunately, the story was messy and the timing was uneven. A few times I found myself wondering when it would really kick into gear; it was like being in a car that continually backfires.

So for those wanting to take in a great comedy by the Coens might want to either reconsider or just lower your expectations. Like I said, perhaps mine were a bit too high. Still, in some of the worst weeks of movie box office history, this may be worth checking out. Id rating: B-.

No comments: