Tuesday, December 23, 2008

NY Wrap

...and we had a good time. The End.

Okay, a little more happened than that: We stayed with Lena and the in-laws who were also in town. We visited Northampton, a quaint college town where I saw someone's pet duck outside a store. And we walked around a water reservoir where I took more cool shots.

Barely making it onto the train for our next two legs, we reached New York. We stayed with an awesome couple in Brooklyn to start our final stage. They took us to Grimaldi's near a waterpark for outstanding pizza. But first we made a trip to Times Square; I actually found Midtown Comics by memory and picked up a few trade paperbacks - more on those later. The Plaza de Sanrio was pretty funny, but I knew my honey would love it - an unexpected treat.




Mega Kitty!

Over the next couple days we visited a couple museums, first The Met for a repeat visit. I think we still missed a section or two. I particularly liked some of the smaller asian sculptures and the Tiffany jewelry.

They just don't make 'em like this anymore.

Next up was the MoMA; there I saw some modern art that I actually like. I really enjoyed it even though some others were less than impressed. Not everything was inspirational... like the slanted, quadrangle of string. [Come on, really?! Uh, here I suspended this fork. ART! Ta da! Now give me some candy!] Still, it was a great collection.





A friend and I were really struck by "alien girl" - not the title of the sculpture, by the way.

We saw a preview of the parade's balloons, called Float Night, and had dinner with a co-worker and fellow Techie at Ocean Grill. It was very good and very reasonably priced for NY. Quite possibly the best gin and tonic I have ever had. That of course led into the parade... the Macy's Thankgiving Day Parade! We had a wonderful time. It was fun to see the Georgia Tech Marching Band and all of the floats and balloons up close - a very uniquie experience. Unfortunately, I had some camera issues, so I didn't get a full video of the band, but it was a learning experience. And while we did not get there as early as I recommended (Tip: Show up NO LATER than 6:30am.) we were not too far back and we had a pleasant crowd around us.





We ended the trip with a visit to Lombardi's in Little Italy. I'm really not sure which one I liked better, but they're both better than anything in this town. Maybe I'll need to go back and see. We drove back which didn't seem nearly as long as I thought it would be; the Tech-Georgia updates along the way sure didn't hurt either. It was a great season, Jackets! Way to go!

Oh, and check my honey bunny's page for more details of the trip.

No comments: