Monday, December 29, 2008

I'll Go Get My Ball

I find it interesting how supporting characters manage to steal the scene... or rather the entire movie. I saw Bolt over the weekend, make that Bolt 3D. The story was acceptable as were most of the characters. While admittedly, I am not a fan of John Travolta, I still did not think his voice was a good match for Bolt; a younger, higher pitched would have been better. The animation was pretty good and the 3D effects were not overbearing like some films: HEY! Look at stuff come AT YOU and away from you and BACK AT YOU. WoooOOOOooooOOOOooah!

But much like the penguins of Madagascar, it is the crazy antics of the overly confident sidekick that make the movie. Maybe an entire movie of this raging ball of fur would be annoying, but Rhino the hamster steals nearly every scene he's in with his energetic confidence.



If you love animated films, this one is is probably worthwhile, but it wasn't very memorable, showing how Disney definitely needs the boys & girls at Pixar. I'd probably give it a C+

And any animated film leads me to wonder when the next film by Hayao Miyazaki will be released. His latest Gake no ue no Ponyo or for us westerners, Ponyo on the Cliff, came out in Japan last year and with big names like Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Cate Blanchett, Liam Neeson, Lily Tomlin, Betty White, and Cloris Leachman reportedly attached a month ago to the english dub, it can only be a matter of time before a date is announced.

No comments: