Friday, November 21, 2008

Planes, Trains and Automobiles, Day 1 & 2

My vacation had a bad start. I left work late and had not packed. The house was a wreck, and I was feeling absolutely terrible. I managed to finish packing, but it took me quite a while. I awoke a few hours later to head south to the airport, late. Already feeling a little sick and stressed about leaving the house and the cat, wondering if I was going to make my flight did not make me feel any better. It was not as bad as I thought, but I did miss checking my bag. Other than being woozy and a hard landing, it went fairly well; the Biscoff Cookies definitely helped.

I took the shuttle and the Blue Line to Government Center, but then I suddenly drew a blank. I could not remember the name of the hotel, and Ina was not answering her phone. Well, I knew it was only a few blocks away so I started walking around. I even helped a lady find State St despite being lost. Ina eventually saved me and so I headed over to the Omni Parker House and checked in. She met me shortly thereafter and we went to have lunch at The Purple Shamrock. Everything was good except the fish, Scrod. Maybe it is the natural flavor, but it resembled cleaning fluid. I received a discount and had plenty to eat, so all was good.

We headed north to do a little sight seeing and found Paul Revere's House. We did not have too much time, so we just took a couple pictures and we split ways; Ina had more convention to see. I checked out Boston's Holocaust Memorial which was very touching; it really is amazingly tragic what people went through.

We met back up and headed north to meet Jill at The Spirit, where some other Tech fans were supposed to watch the game. Well, we didn't notice any, but that did not stop us from enjoying the game. We were impressed with the White Out or as I read somewhere else, "White Wash." More impressive was the game. It was a lot of fun to watch. We went to Jill's house and watched the second half. It was great to catch up with her and her husband and see the Jackets beat the 'canes.

Today was less eventful, but we began the next portion of our trip. After Ina left for a final session, I walked around and took some pictures; Boston Common, the capitol building, and a cemetary where Samuel Adams, John Hancock, and Paul Revere are buried. My mom called and we talked a little football victory then I grabbed a cup a joe before checking out. We boarded the Amtrak train and rode it to Springfield. I think I would like to try another train ride if we can get a good deal. Lena picked us up and then went to pickup their parents. It was good to see everyone. We're all pretty tired, but we have a great week ahead of us.

No comments: