Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Western Meets SciFi, part 2

After posting about the genre defying Cowboy Bebop, I happened to catch two films this last weekend, one in each of the anime's major genres. Unfortunately, the better film was on DVD. I don't feel like I have seen a good film in the theater in a while. Well actually, the thriller Transsiberian was pretty good and that was only a couple months ago.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

I normally dislike lengthy titles, but I like this one more than most. Maybe it is because I liked this film more than most. It had a twisted outlaw feel to it, somewhere along the lines of There Will Be Blood or No Country for Old Men, but not quite so sinister. With the knowledge of what would happen, the movie was more about the characters and their transformation as the story progressed. Casey Affleck did a wonderful job as Bob (Robert Ford) and Sam Rockwell was very likable as his less intelligent brother. Brad Pitt was pretty good as well and much better than most give him credit.

Recommended.

The Day the Earth Stood Still

Like Brad Pitt, Keanu is underrated, but when he is the best thing about a science fiction film, you're not setting the bar very high. Okay, maybe the best thing was really Jennifer Connelly, but she didn't have much with which to work either except looks. The movie was killed by a poor script which only made Jaden Smith look like a horrible child actor. Actually, I fell asleep here and there for a total of 15 minutes or so - I think it was the heavy burrito and margarita I had for dinner - but my co-viewer confirmed that the plot was not helping.

Not Recommended.

No comments: